General Guides * Professional Researchers * Maps * All Netherlands Websites *Language and Name Aids*
* Finding and Using Records * Queries & Help * More Links *
Guides to Netherlands Research
Books and Articles
Guides on the Web
I have not used these services and can not evaluate them.
I note them here in case you want to explore further.
- FamilySearh.org list of researchers -- be sure to click on the link for each researcher to get information about that resarcher or research company.
- One of the researchers on that list, Yvette Hoitnink, has a blog, Dutch Genealogy, that is interesting.
- She also offers some videos that you might find helpful.
All Netherlands Websites
- World GenWeb: Netherlands There should be a link for each province, but unfortunately not all of them have an active page.
Language and Name Aids
Finding and Using Records
Records are kept at the local level, so you must know the town. Before 1811, Church records are the main source of information; 1811 forward civil registration is in effect. (1795 in Southern provinces)
- Subscription website: WieWasWie -- this link should take you to the English version.
- Genlias shut down in 2013 and WieWasWie took it over (both maintained by the Dutch government). It contains births, deaths and marriages from 1811 forward, some s well as some pre 1811 church records, some military records and family notices from newspapers. Mostly indexed and abstracted material, but some scanned images. Material is included from the Archives of every province. It is the most comprehensive sorce of Netherlands information on the web.
- About Who Was Who (the English translation)
- Subscriptions are not yet in place-- read more ( I think it is simply operating free, but I'm not sure.)
- Not all pages have an English translation; use Google translate or some other translation service for those pages
- FamilySearch provides a lesson on Using the Website WhoWasWho
- Digital Resources Netherlands and Belgium has links to online records. (some English translation)
- About (in English)
- The pages linked won't be in English of course.
Queries and Help