Guides to Research
- FamilySearchWiki: Norway
- Note that this page also contains links to each of the Norwegian county pages
- Ancestors From Norway -- a large website, providing a very comprehensive guide to tracing your Norwegian ancestors. Take lots of time to explore this helprul resource.
- World GenWeb: Norway Genealogy
- Nedrebo. How to Trace Your Ancestors in Norway -- a lot of information, but put on line several years ago, so there will be bad links, it won't include more current sources and some information may have changed. I decided it was worthwhile anyway.
- Slekt & Historie (Ancestry & History) containes numerous helpful pages.
- A Reserch Guide for Norwegian Genealogy: For Beginning and Experienced Researcher, 6th ed. 2013 (find in a library) This is put out by the Norwegian American Genealogical Research Center. Note is is current and though I've not seen it, I suspect it is very helpful to those researching Norwegian-American ancestors.
- The Beginner's Guide to Norwegian Genealogical Research, by Finn A. Thomsen, 2nd ed. 1998 (find in a library)
- "Norway" in In Search of Your European Roots: A Complete Guide to Tracing Your Ancestors in Every Country in Europe, by Angus Baxter, 3rd. ed.2001 (find in a library)
- Norwegian Research Guide, by Linda Herrick, Rev. Ed. 2001 (out of print) (find in a library)
- Tracing Your Norwegian Roots, by Marlyn A. Wellauer, Rev. Ed. 1986 (out of print) (find in a library) This will be worth consulting, even though the details will be out of date; many libraries will own this or it should be possible to get a copy on interlibrary loan.
Atlases, Maps and Gazetteers
- Genealogical Maps & Guide to theNorwegian Parrish Registers, 1987 (find in a library)
Societies, Libraries & Archives
Finding and using the records
- First, learn what digital resources the Family History Library has online for Norway.
- Next, learn what resources the Family History had filmed for Norwary. Remember: Anything that has been filmed can be borrowed through your nearest Family History Center.
Norwegian Bygdebok and Genealogies
Norwgian Cemetery Records
- Cemeteries in Norway (should open in English -- if not, click the English tab on navigation bar, above text)
- Not all the pages have an English option -- for some, use the GOOGLE TRANSLATE button on the right
- You may have to spend some time figuring out how to use this site!
- FamilySearch.org Norway Burials 1666-1927 (not a complete listing of all burials, but over 700,000)
Norwegian Church Records
Church records are extremely important in all Scandinavian countries.
Norwegian Census Records
- The National Archives of Norway has a complete explanation of Norwegian Census Records: Public Censuses
- Getting into the Norwegian Census -- a good overview of Norwegian census records
- Norwegian Census Records -- contains links to information about the column headings, but note the page was last updated in 1999, so information as to what is available online will be out of date.
- You will want to read the FamilySearch Wiki article Norway: Census Records
- It includes links to specific online census years online at both sites listed below.
- Census records are digitized and online at Digitaarkivet and the Norwegian Historical Data Centre
- Norway Genealogy: Census Sources
- lincludes inks to information about Norwegians in U.S. Census records
- The 1875 census is indexed, with digital images online at FamilySearch.org
- Norwegian Farmer Groups (occupations)
- Norwegian Resources: Censuses
Norwegian Emigration and Immigration
Norway Land & Property
Norway Probate Records
Norwegian Vital Records